I want to share a little secret with you… resolutions have never really been my thing. And I used to be really, really bad at them.
Commit to the gym, eat less junk, cook healthy meals… UGH. I’d stick to these things for a few weeks, and then quickly revert back to my old habits, only to promise myself that next month – or next year – I’ll make the changes I want to see.
You’ve been there too, right?
Here’s what I’ve learned… and what’s allowed me to commit to myself every. year. since.
Once I know why my resolutions are important to me…
why they bring me joy and pleasure…
why they motivate and excite me…
my commitment to myself and my goals become MUCH more powerful.
So, I have a yearly ritual that I re-visit every month, to get clear on what brings me joy and what’s no longer serving me – so that I can clear out the old and welcome in the new.
That means – releasing old patterns, thoughts, and actions to make space for and welcome in everything that brings me excitement, love, and a deep sense of fulfillment.
Here’s what I do, and how you can too:
- Set aside some time when you can deeply honor yourself. Allow yourself the space and time to get in touch with your heart and mind, and get real with yourself. Make yourself a nurturing, loving little space for this practice. Maybe light a candle, turn on a soft lamp, curl up with a cozy blanket, and make yourself a cup of tea. Allowing your connection to yourself to flow will help put you in touch with your intuition, so you can clearly see what needs to go, and what you’re craving more of.
- Grab your journal and free-write to these questions
- What fueled me, nurtured me, and brought me joy in the past year?
- What memories or experiences stand out as the highlights of my year?
- What did I do, create, or experience that I’m glowingly proud of?
This is what you want to welcome more of in 2019.
Then, allow yourself to feel into some soul-searching, truth-seeking questions…
- What drained me, felt heavy, or brought me discontent in the past year?
- What thoughts, patterns, or behaviors are no longer aligned with me or serving me?
- What stories or beliefs do I tell myself, that are disempowering or don’t serve?
- What mistakes did I make that taught me something? What lessons did I learn?
This will help you let go of anything that’s not working, and so you can make space for future you want to welcome in.
I know that those questions can uncover some deep, hard truths. Forgive yourself, love yourself, and know that we’re going to use this answers to create the deep transformations you’re craving, and call in everything you crave in the new year.
Take a deep breath, and all the vision of what you WANT to feel to wash over you. Ask yourself,
- How do I want to FEEL this year?
- What do I want MORE of in my life?
- What am I willing to let go of and release to get there?
- How can I nurture myself more?
- Where can I show myself more compassion, or forgive myself?
- What steps do I need to take to welcome those feelings, thoughts, and experiences?
Now as you see your action steps, you can remember why you want to make those shifts, and the vision you are working to create in your future. Reminding yourself of this powerful why will embolden your commitment to yourself and your vision all year.
- Give yourself some TLC as you allow the vision of what you want to wash over you. Envision it, feel it, embody it, call it in – knowing that you have the power to create everything you’re craving in your future.
There’s no need to be hard on yourself for what’s in the past. You can use this knowledge to empower you and step into full agency of your choices and mindset in the coming year.
I like to revisit this practice every month so I can re-visit my vision and adjust for the coming month. I ask myself
- Did I show up for myself in all the ways I wanted?
- Am I releasing and letting go of what is draining me? What else needs to go?
- What is lighting me up? What else do I want to welcome in?
- What steps do I need to take this month, to bring me closer to where I want to be?
Show up for yourself. Honor yourself. Commit to yourself.
Use these tools to welcome in a new vision, and take the steps to get there.
You deserve it.
BTW, if you want some extra support to call in your vision, I’m here to help you. My private coaching program is open. I have 2 spots left this month, and I’ll be opening up 5 more for February. All the details and coaching application are here.
I am so glad you’re here and going on this powerful journey.